Monday, September 24, 2012

To Infinity and Beyond

Yes thanks to my great grandsons I am a fan of "Toy Story" as well as a fan of creation. This was a post I had written a month ago but omitted to publish. My goal is now 1,000 and I started by spotting some marsh willowherb and this bog bush cricket. On July 4th I was invited to visit Winmarleigh  Moss, a new reserve acquired by the Lancashire Wildlife Trust. It needs a bit of work to restore it back to prime condition but it is still vital site for carbon capture and storage. Since there were quite a few of the Wildlife Trust staff here as well, I had lots of folk who were able to confirm some of the new species I encountered.


Large Heath butterfly, four jawed spider, common heath moth and peppered moth were some good additions towards my new target. I saw some sundew but none containing any prey. 

As we neared the end of our survey someone detected a wood tiger moth almost hidden in the undergrowth. It had been a marvelous day which ended with a visit to a farm selling locally made ice cream
The rest of the month was very busy with education visits, pond dipping sessions and guided walks at both Cuerden Valley Park and the Wildlife Trust's Brockholes reserve. This meant less time searching for species but I was still able to add  weld, purple loose-strife and brown hawker dragonfly to my score. 



No comments:

Post a Comment