Monday, December 10, 2012

The Final Countdown

I may have remarked at the start of this year that my Challenge would be species that I saw on normal trips out, or holidays  and would not include any twitching more than 4 miles. It has been hard as I could see the the year end approach and the 1,000 species becoming more unattainable. Both charities I support are committed to action for reducing carbon footprint so I could not in all conscience dash around the country using up fossil fuel. There have been very few additions to my list in November and December but I have been out a number of times.
At the end of October, on a crisp frosty day, I visited Leighton Moss RSPB reserve with Chorley Natural History Society. I think I saw more friends I had not seen for a while than wildlife. I had taken a new aquaintance from A Rocha UK to see the 'Moss and after I had said hello to colleagues from there, RSPB Southport, A Rocha, Lancashire Environment Fund, Brockholes, Cuerden Valley Park, Dee Estuary Volunteers and other Lancashire Wildlife Trust volunteers, her reaction was " You really do seem to know everybody in Lancashire!"
On our trip round we did get good views of marsh tit from the feeding station near the visitors centre, a quick view of bearded tit down the causeway and the usual very friendly robin near the public hide.

As November passed I was able to see waxwings in Preston and some wonderful views of willow tits feeding in the garden of a friend's cottage in Glaisdale ( North Yorkshire)
We also saw a wonderful blast from the past as the Sir Nigel Gresley steamed past us on the start of one of our walks

I attended a training day with Lancashire Badger Group and as we were searching for signs of badger we found a moth demonstrating its use of camouflage. It is a Scarce Umber, and brought my total to 924

This will be my final posting for 2012. Thanks to all those who have donated to both my charities. You will find details of  A Rocha here >  http://www.arocha.org/gb-en/index.html 
and Lancashire Wildlife Trust here http://www.lancswt.org.uk/




No comments:

Post a Comment