Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Little bit of mothing, Lots of planting

Sunday Jan 7 was an exciting day for me as I presented my local church with a Silver Eco-Church Award. Several members had put a lot of effort into achieving this. As part of the service we also planted some wildflower seeds from Cuerden Valley Park into some small pots. When they are a little more advanced we should then replant them back on the Park.

           
    
 

 I continued my January Moth Challenge during the following week. On the way to Cuerden Valley Park, I noticed daffodills in flower at the entrance to Clayton Brook village. I went straight to the moth  trap and was delighted to spot my first of the year. Not only that, it was the first Pale Bordered Brindle for the Park. I also spotted my first butterfly of the year, a Peacock had been disturbed from hibernation.

 
   It is turning out to be a busy January. I then had to speak at a local WI about the Wildlife of Cuerden Valley Park. I think they were more impressed by my singing of "Jerusalem" than my talk. I did point out to them that I had been part of the choir for the "Preston Passion" a few years ago. I was impressed by the parkin offered with my cup of  Redbush tea.
On Sunday the 14th Jan I went to speak on behalf of A Rocha UK at St Barnabas Church in Heapy, a village north of Chorley. They are Eco-Church Bronze Award holders and it didn't surprise me at all when after the service we planted some "whips" to complete a hedge which borders the church building. These young ones were ably assisted by their fathers. What was a pleasant surprise was a gift of a banana and sultana loaf. Was I supposed to inform the Inland Revenue?
 
 The final act of planting was more of a scattering than planting. I took some Foxglove seeds and put them into one of our woodlands on Cuerden Valley Park.







No comments:

Post a Comment