Saturday, January 1, 2022

Day One - Home Turf.

The first day of my challenge was dry and warm for January (11 degrees C) The first on my list was the oak tree right outside my front door and then as I set off for Cuerden Valley Park a song thrush started practicing his repetitive song. I had set my moth trap up with it being a warm evening but sadly on opening, I had only caught a Harvestman,                                       

                               

I then went to fill up the bird feeders, noting blue tit, great tit, coal tit, nuthatch, robin, grey squirrel and a Harlequin ladybird on the cafe window. Several goldfinches were using a feeder near the Walled Orchard and a blackbird was searching in the leaf litter for her breakfast. Not too far away a tree-creeper, oblivious to my presence was doing the same, but on an oak tree trunk.  Nearer to the workshop I heard a goldcrest and was able to spot it as well. I didn't see the bullfinch that was calling nearby.
Time to go to Kem Mill. Though my search for dipper was unsuccessful, I did spot a grey wagtail and some white dead-nettle in flower. There was also some jelly ear fungus and a fungus I didn't know.

         
  
Walked to the lodge and saw three mallards and five moorhens. At that point my heart started beating faster. On top of a bullrush there was a kingfisher. Its body was swaying with the plant but the head perfectly still. It then made a successful dive for its lunch. It was getting near my lunchtime so I headed towards the car park. As I did a mixed flock of finches flew from the hedge to the horse chestnut trees. I was delighted to note some chaffinches, more goldfinches, three bullfinches and a couple of greenfinches. A very pleasant morning.




No comments:

Post a Comment