Monday, January 10, 2022

The Eyes have it!

  


  Sunday Jan 9th I went on a walk with Chorley Natural History Society along Eyes Lane Bretherton. I arrived a little earlier than the starting time of 9.00am and was welcomed by a Tawny Owl in the avenue of trees nearby. There were also the usual dunnocks, various tits, a Great Spotted Woodpecker and a Robin. As the other members were arriving, they were greeted by a flypast of about 50 Pink Footed Geese. Once everyone was assembled we set off down the wooded lane with chaffinch, nuthatch and coal tits managing to ensure we didn't see them. It's a good job they are so noisy. One of the wild flowers that was surviving the mild winter caught our eye. It was White Dead Nettle. Pausing to take a photo we also spotted Skylarks and some Pheasants in the nearby field. I couldn't believe it had taken me 9 days before being able to add this common bird to my list. Continuing down the lane it became less wooded but had hedgerows on either side. Linnets, Chaffinches and Yellowhammer showed themselves, though the latter's yellow plumage does make it easier to spot. The bridge over the River Douglas was the next place to scan for other birds. Teal, Mallard and Moorhen scurried or flew away so we carried on to the west of the river. The field to the north had a hedge about 100 yards away from us and as I scanned I noticed several thrushes. Flying from field to trees and the hedge were Fieldfare, Redwing and a single Mistle Thrush. I also noted a large black corvid and was delighted when it's cronk confirmed it was a raven. 



       


The next field contained a small group of Whooper Swans. Two adults and three young. More flowers were noted on this part of the lane, these were Ivy leaved speedwell, Pineapple weed and more White Dead Nettle. The house where Tree Sparrows used to be reliable had been demolished and a new build was nearing completion. Fortunately the Tree Sparrows had not moved too far down our oute and we were delighted to observe them as well as corn buntings. I decided to leave for home at this point and manages to count more Mallards and Teal by the Baily Bridge. As I approached my vehicle I saw a fungus on some birch. It was a new one for me and I understand it is Worlock's Butter. A great end to a good day. List now stands at 143







No comments:

Post a Comment