Sunday, February 18, 2024

Mammal Checks and moving cameras.

 It has been a frustrating couple of weeks with incessant rain and a poorly laptop meaning my blog writing has been curtailed. On the earliest drier day I went away from my local patch on Cuerden Valley Park to check out reports of badger acivity. Some supposed paths were only tracks made by dogs entering a bramble patch in a ditch, and snuffle holes on careful examination, proved to be roe deer slots. 

We did find some King Alfred Cakes fungi and some Yellow Brain fungus, so our trip was beneficial.





We returned to Cuerden Valley Park so that I could change the position of one of our trail cameras. During winter I have it over the reservoir to monitor winter visiting birds such as these sleeping wigeon and often a Goosander. 

 
 
 
I move it once the bluebell shoots start to show so I do not cause any disturbance for these gorgeous flowers. The camera then goes to our hedgehog feeding station to monitor their emergence from hibernation. This means we can then increase our provision of food when applicable for these 
wonderful creatures.









No comments:

Post a Comment