Friday, February 23, 2024

Tyto, Toads and other critters

 A colleague mentioned they had seen a Barn Owl emerging from a nearby building. Enthused, I went to see if I could discover any owl pellets. This serves two purposes. First confirmation of the bird's presence and second, examination of the pellets helps us to see what prey the owl has been eating. We found at least three pellets plus the farmer kindly allowed us to have a camera installed temporarily to try to obtain more evidence of the bird. Here is a photo of the pellets. They may look disgusting to some, but remember the owl ejects them from its mouth, not its backside.

 

I had a good week in the middle of February with a few surprises. At a meeting of the Lancashie Wildlife Trust Speaker Team, I was given a special certificate in recognition of 35 years volunteering for LWT. Only a few of those were on the speaker team. In the afternoon, the Friends of Cuerden Valley Park gave me a Lifetime membership for the work I do for them over the year. Finally when I arrived home, I checked the mail and saw that someone had sent me a Valentine. It is a Leap Year after all.

At the weekend I went to say a sad farewell to one of the Watch Leaders who has felt it right to retire after 30+ years of running the group. It was a great session. She had  asked https://crittersinteractive.co.uk/  to bring some of their animals. There were snakes, stick insects, toads and a slow worm. My favourite was this large frog. 

 
The day after this I went checking round Cuerden valley Park and found Lenten Rose flowering and also  Lungwort. Spring seems to be getting earlier.

     

 A visitor to Cuerden had noticed some bees going to and coming from a tree that had recently been blown down in a storm. She asked if she could contact a bee expert to see what they could do. As a result a lady from the Bee Centre, which is based not too far away came to rescue the bees and take them to a place for TLC and placed in a new hive. We are very grateful for their involvement. I believe caring for creation involves insects as well as cuddly creatures.





  


No comments:

Post a Comment